Dalton, Vanessa K.
Summaries of Independent Scientist (K) Awards
Institution: University of Michigan at Ann Arbor
Grant Title: Evaluating Treatment Options and Patterns of Care in Early Pregnancy Failure
Grant Number: K08 HS15491
Duration: 5 years (2007-2012)
Total Award: $661,500
Project Description: The purpose of this research is to better understand how early pregnancy failure (EPF) is currently managed and to examine the effect of using patient preferences to determine treatment on cost. It has three aims:
- Quantitatively describe treatment patterns for EPF management.
- Identify provider and patient factors associated with treatment preferences and patterns.
- Simulate clinical and economic consequences of an expanded care model compared to usual care.
Career Goals: Dr. Dalton is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Michigan Medical School. She received her MD from UNC, Chapel Hill and served her residency in OB/GYN at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Dr. Dalton intends to establish herself as a health services researcher with a focus on cost, evidence-based practice and health care quality and become an expert in the area of health services for EPF.
Progress to Date: For Aim #1, data have been collected on 22,804 individual events and the analysis completed. A manuscript detailing the findings was published in the Journal of Women's Health. For Aim #2a, the survey instrument was developed, pretesting, and revised last year and patient enrollment has begun. Data collection analysis for Aim #2b is complete. A total of 976 providers were enrolled. The findings were presented at several professional meetings and a published manuscript is forthcoming.
Future Plans: Patient recruitment for Aim #2a will continue and three additional sites for recruitment have been added. Two manuscripts will be submitted for publication describing work in Aim #2b. The grantee will complete her coursework in cost-effectiveness methodology.
Highlights and Specific Accomplishments:
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health (BIRCWH) Scholars program, University of Michigan.
- Director, Program on Health Improvement and Leadership Development, University of Michigan.
- Governor's Blueprint for Preventing Unintended Pregnancies. Provider Task Force.
- Committee on Quality Assurance and Patient Safety, ACOG.
K-Generated Publications: None thus far.