Slide Presentation from the AHRQ 2009 Annual Conference
On September 14, 2009, Cindy Brach made this presentation at the 2009 Annual
Conference. Select to access the PowerPoint® presentation (720
KB). Plugin Software Help.
Creating Health Information That Americans Can Understand
Center for Delivery, Organization, and Markets
September 14, 2009
Health Information Uses
- Consumers use health information to:
- Choose health plans, hospitals, doctors
- Make treatment decisions
- Take medicine safely
- Reduce risk factors and manage health conditions
Health Literacy Challenge
- Only 12 percent of U.S. adults have proficient health literacy.
- Over a third-77 million people-have difficulty with common health tasks.
- The complexity of most health materials exceeds the capability of most consumers.
- Kristin Carman, PhD - Print Materials
- Maritza Matheus, MBA - Audience Input
- Sandy Hilfilker, MA - Web Materials
Current as of December 2009
Creating Health Information That Americans Can Understand. Slide Presentation from the AHRQ 2009 Annual Conference (Text Version). December 2009.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/about/annualconf09/brach2.htm