Slide Presentation from the AHRQ 2009 Annual Conference
On September 15, 2009, Nancy Clarke made this presentation at the 2009 Annual Conference. Select to access the PowerPoint® presentation (3.6 MB) (Plugin Software Help).
Regional Collaboratives as
Catalysts for Quality Reporting and Improvement:
Engaging Consumers Engagingly
AHRQ September 15, 2009
Quality Corp Mission
To measure & improve the quality of health care in Oregon through collaboration
Three overlapping circles emphasize relatedness of measurment, improvement and consumer engagement.
- Help Consumers Understand
- What is quality?
- Why should you care?
- What can you do to get it?
- Critical Principle:
- Encourage use of comparative information &
- Make consumers partners with their provider
- Recruit community "go to" partners
- AARP Oregon
- RWJF Consumer Voices for Coverage grantees - including Oregonians for Health Security and Oregon Action
- Establish a clear, aligned messages
- Develop a core set of materials (scientifically vetted and consumer tested)
- Quality Action Packet with 5 inserts
- Go where the partner wants to go
- Quality care is safe, it works, it's tailored to you
- There are big variations in care quality
- You need to be informed and involved
- Talk to your provider about what quality means for you
- Do your part to stay healthy
- What's quality/ How can you get it?
- How can you find trustworthy information on the web?
- Making the most of your medical appointments
- What is care that works?
- What is the right amount of care?
- How to avoid medication errors
Brochure shows graphics that accompany print message
Graphic shows web home page for consumers with two forms of navigation – scenarios and tabs.
Health Care Quality and Patient Safety 101
Logos of partner organizations included.
Have fun! The audience will do the work!
Photographs of a doctor and patient in a skit and of facilitator interviewing the audience at a Quality 101 session.
Screen shot of the "how to be a quality millionaire game"
Health Care Teams:
What should you do if you don't like your relationship with your doctor?
A: Suck it up
C: Work to improve things or find a new doc
B: Stop going
D: Nothing, it might get better
More photographs of people have fun at a Quality 101 session
Why do this?
- Consumers: "That's what it's all about"
- "I'm a consumer, too" is dead wrong
- The product is much better
- Wonderful unanticipated payoffs
- Keeps me humbled, stretched and engaged
Is it working?
- 300 Oregonians down, 3,400,700 to go.
- Is it possible to change the culture?
- Materials are wildly popular with all stakeholders.
- Are they prompting conversations?
- Will this translate to looking at data?
Current as of December 2009
Regional Collaboratives as Catalysts for Quality Reporting and Improvement: Engaging Consumers Engagingly. Slide Presentation from the AHRQ 2009 Annual Conference (Text Version). December 2009.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/about/annualconf09/clarke.htm