Slide Presentation from the AHRQ 2009 Annual Conference
On September 16, 2009, Arthur Davidson made this presentation at the 2009 Annual Conference. Select to access the PowerPoint® presentation (167 KB) (Plugin Software Help).
Connecting Communities: Lessons From Six State Health Information Exchange Demonstrations
Arthur Davidson, MD, MSPH
Colorado Regional Health Information Organization
September 16, 2009
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Annual Conference.
- Provide an opportunity for several State and Regional Demonstration Projects to talk about their successes.
- Show how HIE can impact health reform.
State and Regional Demonstration (SRD) Projects
- 5-year contracts.
- $5M total direct/indirect costs.
- 2004 to 2009.
- 6 States
- Health reform is still poorly-defined.
- Most agree with three basic health reform goals:
- Increase quality.
- Increase access, and
- Reduce costs.
- Focus of session:
- What impact have the SRD had on these goals through health information exchange (HIE)?
- Linked 4 large healthcare providers (Denver Health, Kaiser Permanente, The Children's Hospital and University of Colorado Hospital).
- Working toward a comprehensive statewide health information exchange.
- Evaluation: valuable patient identity management service (eMPI) for proper record merging across/within partner institutions.
- CORHIO is a convener/collaborator and technical service provider/broker.
- State Designated Entity plays major role building quality improvement focus (re: HITECH and meaningful use functionality).
- As CORHIO continues to evolve to a clinical messaging service, key demonstration lessons (e.g., usability and data integrity) are being incorporated in newer technology solutions (being solicited).
- Waiting for health reform, CORHIO focused on:
- A sustainability model.
- Ways to address meaningful use.
- Make progress toward 2 of the 3 goals:
- Improve quality and reduced cost.
- Gina Perez - DE: Delaware Health Information Network (DHIN).
- How HIE plays a role in meaningful use.
- Share some success stories of DHIN.
- Anecdotal information about successes DHIN has had improving care and reducing costs.
- Mark Frisse - TN: Midsouth eHealth Alliance (MSeHA).
- Results from the Vanderbilt evaluation team working across emergency departments in Memphis hospitals.
- Marc Overhage - IN: Indiana Health Information Exchange (IHIE).
- Quality improvement performed by Regenstrief team.
- Focus on reduction in duplicated tests.
Current as of December 2009
Connecting Communities: Lessons From Six State Health Information Exchange Demonstrations. Slide Presentation from the AHRQ 2009 Annual Conference (Text Version). December 2009.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/about/annualconf09/davidson.htm