MN Community Measurement
Slide Presentation from the AHRQ 2011 Annual Conference
On September 20, 2011, Jim Chase made this presentation at the 2011 Annual Conference. Select to access the PowerPoint® presentation (1.1 MB). Plugin Software Help.
MN Community Measurement©
AHRQ 2011 Annual Conference
September 20, 2011
Overview of Presentation
- Background on MN Community Measurement.
- Why Multi-stakeholder Collaboration?
- Regional Improvement Collaborative accomplishments.
- Challenges and Opportunities in Health Reform.
MN Community Measurement
Accelerating the Improvement of Health Through Public Reporting:
- The trusted source of information across the spectrum of care and the IOM six aims.
- Used by providers to improve care and by patients to make better decisions.
- Our community works together on measurement.
MNCM Health Care Quality Report
- Reports on 18 clinical quality measures, Health Information Technology, patient experience, cost of care, and hospital measures.
- Reports results on 315 medical groups and 550 clinics.
- Results from health plan and medical group data.
Image: A pitchfork being dug into the soil is shown.
Patients Benefit from Becker Clinic's Push on Diabetes.
Article by: Maura Lerner, Star Tribune Updated: July 30, 2011.
Image: A father tests his blood sugar while his daughter looks on.
Why Multi-Stakeholder Collaboration?
- Trusted source of information.
- Honest Broker (gives and gets).
- Focus resources and priorities.
- Standards for comparison.
- Work across settings of care.
- Health not health care.
Growing Network of Regional Collaboratives in U.S.
Aligning Forces for Quality
Other NRHI Members
Chartered Value Exchange
Image: A map of the United States shows the locations of the Chartered Value Exchanges, Aliied Forces, and other NRHI members.
Image: A book labeled Regional Health Improvement Collaboratives is shown.
http://www.nrhi.org/downloads/RegionalHealthImprovementCollaboratives.pdf. (Plugin Software Help)
Performance Measurement and Reporting
Performance Based Payment
Engage Local Communities
Alignment Across Payers
Challenges to Sustainability
- Ability to impact cost of care.
- Compete or cooperate in accountable care.
- Business model—who should fund?
- Access to data.
- Impact across communities:
- Most payers aren't local.
- Can Innovation co-exist with consensus?
Approaches to Driving Change
Opportunities for Collaboratives
- Support value based purchasing:
- Broker work across organizations.
- Data and analysis for improvement.
- Apply quality improvement lessons to cost:
- Readmissions, imaging, biologics, etc.
- Align multiple payers to increase impact.
- Initiatives across communities (AHRQ grant on depression and substance abuse).
Questions or Comments
President, MN Community Measurement
© MN Community Measurement. All rights reserved.
Current as of December 2011
MN Community Measurement. Slide Presentation from the AHRQ 2011 Annual Conference (Text Version). December 2011. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/about/annualconf11/chase_young/chase.htm