AHRQ's Chartered Value Exchanges: An Overview
Slide Presentation from the AHRQ 2011 Annual Conference
On September 20, 2011, Jan De La Mare made this presentation at the 2011 Annual Conference. Select to access the PowerPoint® presentation (1.6 MB). Plugin Software Help.
AHRQ's Chartered Value Exchanges:
Jan De La Mare
AHRQ Chartered Value Exchange (CVE) Learning Network
September 20, 2011
Underlying Philosophy of Collaboratives: "All Health Care is Local"
- National goals and common standards are important, but real improvement takes place in local settings.
- Growing number of National programs and organizations supporting local collaboratives:
- HHS AHRQ Chartered Value Exchange (CVE) Program—24 regional or community collaboratives.
- HHS ONC Beacon Community Program—15 regional collaboratives.
- RWJ Aligning Forces Program—16 regional collaboratives.
- National Business Coalition on Health (NBCH) business-led coalitions—60 regional collaboratives.
- Network for Regional Healthcare Improvement (NRHI)—31 regional collaboratives.
- To promote federal-level coordination, AHRQ staff liaises with leadership of these community-based quality improvement initiatives, as well as the Quality Alliance Steering Committee (QASC), National Quality Forum (NQF), etc.
AHRQ CVE Program:
Opportunities for Strategic Alignment
- Formed in 2007, brings together 24 community quality collaboratives.
- Communities committed to mission of quality transparency and improvement.
- Represents 124 million lives, more than one-third of U.S. population.
- Involves more than 600 health care leaders.
600 Leaders with a Stake in Quality Provide Opportunity for Strategy Alignment Within the Community
- Purchasers: Regional employer coalitions; State Medicaid Agencies; employers such as Ford, Dow, Procter and Gamble, FedEx.
- Consumer Organizations: State American Heart Association chapters; State American Cancer Society chapters; State American Red Cross chapters; unions; consumer health coalitions; State AARP chapters; Aging Commissions.
- Health Plans: State health plan associations; regional and national commercial plans; Medicaid health plans.
- Providers: State hospital associations; hospital CEOs, State American College of Physicians chapters; State Medical Societies, academic medical centers; individual practicing physicians.
- ...and State Departments of Health, State data organizations, QIOs, HIEs, universities.
24 Chartered Value Exchanges
Image: A map of the United States shows the locations of the CVEs.
24 Chartered Value Exchanges
- California Chartered Value Exchange.
- Colorado Value Exchange.
- Connecticut—eHealthConnecticut, Inc.
- Indiana—Quality Health First Program.
- Kansas—Kansas City Quality Improvement Consortium.
- Kentucky—Greater Louisville Value Exchange Partnership.
- Louisiana Health Care Quality Forum.
- Maine Chartered Value Exchange Alliance.
- Massachusetts Chartered Value Exchange.
- Michigan—Alliance for Health.
- Michigan—Greater Detroit Area Health Council.
- Michigan Health Information Alliance
- Minnesota Healthcare Value Exchange.
- Nevada Partnership for Value-driven Health Care.
- New York Quality Alliance.
- Ohio—Health Improvement Collaborative of Greater Cincinnati and HealthBridge.
- Oregon Health Care Quality Corporation.
- Pennsylvania—Pittsburgh Regional Health Initiative.
- Pennsylvania—Aligning Forces for Quality–South Central PA.
- Tennessee—Healthy Memphis Common Table.
- Utah Partnership for Value-driven Health Care.
- Virginia Health Care Alliance.
- Washington—Puget Sound Health Alliance.
- Wisconsin Healthcare Value Exchange.
CVEs and Public Reporting
- 9 CVEs sponsor a hospital or physician public report.
- An additional 5 are preparing to do so, and.
- 10 CVEs not directly involved in public reporting include one or more affiliate organizations that already produce a public report.
Focus of AHRQ Learning
Content is user-driven.
Through AHRQ's Learning Network, CVE members learn from each other and from experts, sharing experiences and best practices in the following areas:
- Collaborative Leadership & Sustainability.
- Consumer Engagement.
- Quality and Efficiency Measurement.
- Public Reporting for Consumers.
- Provider Incentives for Quality.
- Consumer Incentives for Quality.
- Collaborative Strategies to Improve Quality and Efficiency.
- Health Information Technology/Health Information Exchange.
It takes a village [The word "village" is crossed out]. It takes a metropolis.
State Data Organizations
The Lewin Group
Current as of December 2011
AHRQ's Chartered Value Exchanges: An Overview. Slide Presentation from the AHRQ 2011 Annual Conference (Text Version). December 2011. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/about/annualconf11/delamare_shaller_gruman/delamare.htm