Delivery System Research: Discovering Ways to Improve Care Value
Slide Presentation from the AHRQ 2011 Annual Conference
On September 20, 2011, Michael Harrison made this presentation at the 2011 Annual Conference. Select to access the PowerPoint® presentation (335 KB). Plugin Software Help.
Delivery System Research: Discovering Ways to Improve Care Value*
Michael I. Harrison
Center for Delivery, Organization & Markets
AHRQ Annual Meeting
Sept. 20, 2011
*Thanks to Dina Moss, co-lead on this initiative.
- AHRQ's ARRA [American Recovery and Reinvestment Act] Delivery System Research Initiative.
- Recommendations on Advancing Delivery System Research.
- Progress Reports/Early Findings.
Delivery System Funding Opportunity Announcements (FOAs)
- 6 Evaluation Grants ($12 million)—Request for Applications (RFA) 10-012:
- Research on existing designs or redesigns (interventions) in payment, reporting, and organization of care delivery.
- CER= compare alternative designs or redesigns; compare one redesign to status quo accepted as current policy.
- 4 Demonstration Grants ($7 million)—RFA 10-013—Implementation & Research on effectiveness of redesigns in:
- Primary care.
- Care continuum.
- Payment and reporting.
- 5 Spread Demonstration Grants ($18 million)—Accelerating Implementation of CER Findings through Networks—RFA 10-014:
- Spread of CER findings by leveraging the capacities of multi-stakeholder or multi-site networks: Goal is implementation of existing evidence, not creation of new evidence.
- Evaluation to be conducted by external contractor.
ARRA Delivery System FOA Grantees: Impacted Sites of Care
(1-2 sites per study)
ARRA Delivery System FOA Grantees: Primary Health Conditions
|Cardiological conditions + hypertension
|Mental Health + substance abuse
|Multiple Chronic Conditions
|Chronic Kidney Disease
ARRA Delivery System FOA Grantees: Geographic Spread
Image: A map of the United States with grantee states highlighted is shown.
Meeting: Advancing Delivery System Research
- ARRA CER Delivery System grantees, other grantees, stakeholders, experts discuss white papers:
- Gaps in Research Topics & Concepts.
- Research Designs, Methods, & Measures.
- Spread Strategies.
- Steps for Researchers—Most need leadership by funders:
- Use more mixed methods (Needed: journal, study section support).
- Examine diverse contexts for improvements.
- Model change over longer time periods (3+ yrs).
- Apply common evaluation frameworks for similar initiatives (e.g., Pay for Performance [P4P], Patient Centered Medical Home [PCMH]).
- Test valuable improvements in additional, diverse contexts.
- Develop measures for readiness, change contexts, culture.
For more information
Reports from Delivery System Research Teams
- Michael Magill, MD, University of Utah School of Medicine.
- Rebecca A. Malouin, PhD, Michigan State University.
- Wally R. Smith, MD, Virginia Commonwealth University.
Current as of December 2011
Delivery System Research: Discovering Ways to Improve Care Value. Slide Presentation from the AHRQ 2011 Annual Conference (Text Version). December 2011. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/about/annualconf11/harrison_magill_malouin_smith/harrison.htm