Scaled Up and Spread
Slide Presentation from the AHRQ 2011 Annual Conference
On September 19, 2011, Bernard Roberson made this presentation at the 2011 Annual Conference. Select to access the PowerPoint® presentation (900 KB). Plugin Software Help.
Scaled Up and Spread
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
Bernard Roberson, MSM, BA, HSC
Patient Family Centered Care
Who We Are
- Health Sciences University for the University System of Georgia founded 1828
5 Colleges (Medicine, Allied Health, Nursing, Dentistry, Graduate Studies).
- Tertiary Academic Medical Center
632 beds- Adult and Children's Medical Center, Medical Office Practice, Radiation Therapy Center, Comprehensive Cancer Center
110 specialty clinics—Georgia and South Carolina.
Image: A map of Georgia is shown.
A New Approach to Care
Three images of doctors and patients are shown.
Patient-and Family-Centered Care
Institute for Family-Centered Care
Patient- and family-centered care is an approach to the planning, delivery, and evaluation of health care that is grounded in mutually beneficial partnerships among health care providers, patients, and families. It redefines the relationships in health care.
Institute of Medicine
Providing care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient preferences, needs, and values and ensuring that patient values guide all clinical decisions.
Initiating Scale Up...
- Leadership Buy-In.
- Defined Core Values.
- Established Patient- Family-Centered Care.
- Involved Patients and Families in design.
- Created position.
Cultural Evolution in 1993
- Open visitation initiated and definition of "visitor" changed forever.
- Began to challenge ‘old ways' of practice.
- Provided support opportunities for patients and families.
- Readily accepted input from patients and families (Family Advisory Council).
- Created strategic plan to implement PFCC throughout the New Children's Medical Center in 1997.
- Extended PFCC programming as a model into adult inpatient and outpatient areas, beginning with the Neuroscience Center in 2002.
- Involved Patients in a Family Forum (Health Partners Advisory Council).
Partner Advisory Councils
- Family Guide to Services.
- Doc Talk form.
- Billing issues.
- Reporting lab results.
- ER Discharge Forms.
- Redesign of areas.
Dimensions of Patient-and Family-Centered Care
- Clinical Services.
- Medical Education.
Patient and Family Involvement in Professional Education
- Family Faculty.
- LIFE (Learning In Family Environments).
- Regional/National Conferences.
- Student Orientations.
- Nursing Forums.
Improving Our Efforts...
Beginning of Spread:
- Adopt-A-Unit Rounds with Leadership.
- Unit based Advisory Councils creation.
- Customer Service Teams.
- Outpatient Advisory Forums.
- Employees as Patients.
- PFCC Learning Labs Internally for Faculty and Staff.
- Presentations and Speaking Engagements at National Conferences and Trainings.
- External Learning Labs on PFCC for Local and National Health Systems.
- Annual PFCC Educational Conference with National/International Speakers for Health System Faculty, Staff, Students, Patients and Families.
Current as of December 2011
Scaled Up and Spread. Slide Presentation from the AHRQ 2011 Annual Conference (Text Version). December 2011. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/about/annualconf11/nieva_roberson_wick/roberson.htm