Slide Presentation from the AHRQ 2008 Annual Conference
On September 9, 2008, this presentation was made at the 2008 Annual Conference. Select to access the PowerPoint® presentation (914 KB; Plugin Software Help).
Public Reporting: Bring Your Lunch and Make Connections
Introduction to the AHRQ Quality Indicators (QI) Learning Institute
AHRQ Annual Meeting
September 9, 2008
- Welcome and Introductions
- Overview of the Learning Institute
- Applying for Membership
Planning Committee (PC)
- Dale Bratzler, DO—Oklahoma Foundation for Medical Quality
- Brooks Daverman, MPP—Division of Health Planning, Tennessee Department of Finance and Administration
- Jeff Geppert, JD—Battelle Memorial Institute
- Denise Love, MBA—National Association of Health Data Organizations
- Shoshanna Sofaer, MPH, DrPH—Baruch College, The City University of New York
- Kim Streit, MBA, MHA—Florida Hospital Association
- All PC members should be in attendance except Kim. I am also not sure about Denise.
AHRQ Center for Delivery, Organization, and Markets
- Irene Fraser, PhD, Director
- Mamatha Pancholi, MS, Program Officer, Quality Indicators Team Project
- Marybeth Farquhar, PhD, MSN, RN, Senior Advisor, Quality Indicators Team Project
AHRQ Office of Communications and Knowledge Transfer
- Marjorie Shofer, MBA, Senior Program Analyst
- Margaret K. Rutherford, Editor
Academy Health (Contractor)
- Katherine Griffith, Associate
12 States Use QIs for Public Hospital Reporting
The slide shows a map of the United States with the following States highlighted in gold:
- New York
- Wisconsin (parts of state)
Purpose of the QI Learning Institute
- To provide a forum for discussing and facilitating the use of the AHRQ Quality Indicators (QIs) in statewide and regional programs that report hospital quality measures to the public.
Leaders (or their representatives, including project staff and consultants) that are directly involved with developing public reporting programs from:
- State agencies/task forces
- State hospital associations
Possible Topics of Monthly Webinars
- Selecting Measures and Sample Size
- Preparing Data for the Report
- Classifying Hospitals
- Displaying the Data
- Explaining the QIs on your Web site
- Creating a Consumer-friendly Web site
- Marketing and Promoting Your Report
- Evaluation of Public Reporting Program
- QI 101 Webinar:
- Wednesday, September 17, 2008, at 3:00 pm ET.
- Please register at: http://www.ahrq.gov/qilearninginstitute/
- Tracking Hospital Readmissions Consensus-building Conference:
- October 28-29, 2008, following the NAHDO Annual Conference, at the Omni La Mansion del Rio in San Antonio, TX.
- Please register to participate in the conference at: http://nahdo.org/cs/meetings/
Applying for Membership
If you are interested in becoming a member of
the AHRQ QI Learning Institute:
- Send an E-mail to: QualityIndicatorsLearning@ahrq.hhs.gov with the subject heading "Application Information for the QI Learning Institute."
- AHRQ will respond with application details.
- Application due by September 30, 2008.
- Due to the great interest in the Learning Institute and a maximum of 250 participants, interested parties are being asked to apply for membership. We may need to limit the number of persons in order to involve as many eligible programs as possible.
- How did you get involved with public reporting?
- What have been your biggest accomplishments to date in developing your public reporting program?
- What are your biggest challenges going forward?
- What insights/lessons would you like to share with your peers?
- What requests do you have of your peers regarding issues you need help with?
For More Information
- QI Learning Institute Web site:
Current as of January 2009
Public Reporting: Bring Your Lunch and Make Connections. Slide Presentation from the AHRQ 2008 Annual Conference (Text Version). January 2009. Agency
for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/about/annualmtg08/090908slides/PublicReporting2.htm