Slide Presentation from the AHRQ 2008 Annual Conference
On September 10, 2008, Ernest Moy, M.D., made this presentation at the 2008 Annual Conference. Select to access the PowerPoint® presentation (952 KB; Plugin Software Help).
CAHPS®—Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems
Center for Quality Improvement & Patient Safety
Note: above the title is the emblem and logo for AHRQ (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality) with the slogan "Advancing Excellence in Health Care" and their URL http://www.ahrq.gov.
CAHPS® measures patient experiences of care.
Slide depicts role of CAHPS® as two concentric circles, with "Technical Assistance" filling the center and outer ring comprised of:
- Surveys (one-half).
- Database (one-quarter).
- Tools (one-quarter).
CAHPS® Surveys: Principles of Development
- Rigorous science.
- Stakeholder input.
- Focus on:
- Patient assessment of the quality of their care.
- Quality issues for which patients are the best or only source of information.
- Issues patients care the most about.
CAHPS® Family of Surveys
- Health Plan Survey.
- Facility Surveys:
- Hemodialysis Center.
- Nursing Resident.
- Nursing Home Family.
- Ambulatory Surveys:
- Clinician & Group.
- Adult Primary Care.
- Child Primary Care.
- Specialty Care.
- Experience of Care and Health Outcomes Survey (ECHO™) (behavioral health).
- Home Health.
Implementation of CAHPS® Surveys
- All surveys and other products in the public domain.
- Standardization across core items.
- Supplemental item sets to meet sponsor needs.
- At least English and Spanish language.
- Technical support for users.
Adoption of CAHPS® Surveys
- CAHPS® Health Plan Survey—138,000,000 Americans.
- CAHPS® Hospital Survey—Nearly every eligible hospital in the U.S.
- CAHPS® Clinician & Group Survey—growing interest.
- International use of CAHPS® Surveys.
CAHPS® Benchmarking Database
- Health Plan Survey:
- Commercial: ~100K patients per year.
- Medicaid: ~100K patients per year.
- Medicare: ~100K patients per year.
- Hospital Survey: ~200K patients in 2007.
- Clinician & Group Survey: In development.
- Access by researchers to de-identified data.
- Contact: email@example.com
CAHPS® Health Plan Survey: Topics
- Getting needed care.
- Getting care quickly.
- How well doctors communicate.
- Health plan customer service, information & paperwork.
- Overall rating:
- Personal doctor or nurse.
- Specialist they saw most often.
- Health care received from all health providers.
- Health plan.
CAHPS® Hospital Survey: Topics
- Communication with Nurses.
- Communication with Doctors.
- Communication about Medications.
- Responsiveness of Hospital Staff.
- Discharge Information.
- Pain Management.
- Cleanliness and Quiet of Hospital Environment.
- Overall Rating of Hospital.
- Willingness to Recommend.
CAHPS® Clinician & Group Survey: Topics
- Getting Appointments & Health Care When Needed.
- How Well Doctors Communicate.
- Courteous and Helpful Office Staff.
- Overall Rating of Doctor.
CAHPS® Benchmarking Database: Strengths & Weaknesses
|Quality through patient's eyes.
||Not technical quality.
|Good for studying access, timeliness, patient centeredness, & care coordination.
||Less useful for studying effectiveness, safety, & efficiency.
|Can study disparities.
||Not always reported.
CAHPS® Reporting Tools
- 2007 Health Plan Survey Chartbook: Getting care quickly (illustration).
- 2007 Hospital Survey Chartbook: All composites (illustration).
Interactive Chartbook: CAHPS® Hospital Survey
Sample page of the CAHPS® Web site Communication about Medications results in bar graph format.
- Free of charge.
- How to field a CAHPS® Survey.
- How to draw a sample.
- How to analyze results.
- How to report out results.
- How to participate in the benchmarking database.
- How to deal with media and others.
Current as of February 2009
CAHPS®—Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems. Slide Presentation from the AHRQ 2008 Annual Conference (Text Version). February 2009. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/about/annualmtg08/091008slides/Moy2.htm