Public Reporting: One Potential Strategy to Improve Quality
- Two Theories of Impact:
- Consumer pathway:
- Consumers use information to choose providers.
- Market shares shift, providers respond.
- Provider pathway:
- Providers value their reputations and/or market shares so strive to improve scores.
- More evidence on second pathway.
- But science is nascent.
- Transparency also an end in itself.
- Growing comparative reporting by CMS [Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services], States, communities, others.
- Role grows under the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide