The Evolving Doctor-Patient Relationship
- This era is ending, being replaced with consumerism and the movement toward shared decisionmaking:
- Teutsch, C. Patient–doctor communication. The Medical Clinics of North America 2003;87:11-15-45.
- Previous research has demonstrated a strong relationship between patient-centered patterns of communication and higher levels of satisfaction and trust:
- Jackson JL. Communication about symptoms in primary care: impact on patient outcomes. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine 2005;11(Supplement 1):S-51–S-56.
- There is a 19 percent higher risk of non-adherence among patients whose physician communicates poorly than among patients whose physician communicates well:
- Haskard Zolnierek KB, DiMatteo MR. Physician communication and patient adherence to treatment: a meta-analysis. Medical Care 2009 August;47(8):826-34.
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide