Treatment Recommendations: Counseling (Continued)
Common elements of intra-treatment supportive interventions
|Supportive treatment component
|Encourage the patient in the quit attempt.
- Note that effective tobacco dependence treatments are now available.
- Note that one-half of all people who have ever smoked have now quit.
- Communicate belief in patient's ability to quit.
|Communicate caring and concern.
- Ask how patient feels about quitting.
- Directly express concern and willingness to help as often as needed.
- Ask about the patient's fears and ambivalence regarding quitting.
|Encourage the patient to talk about the quitting process.
- Reasons the patient wants to quit.
- Concerns or worries about quitting.
- Success the patient has achieved.
- Difficulties encountered while quitting.
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide