Specific Populations and Other Topics — Pregnant Smokers (Continued)
Clinical practice suggestions for assisting a pregnant patient in stopping smoking
|Assess pregnant woman's tobacco use status using a multiple-choice question to improve disclosure
||Many pregnant women deny smoking, and the multiple-choice question format improves disclosure. For example:
- Which of the following statements best describes your cigarette smoking?
- I smoke regularly now-about the same as before finding out I was pregnant.
- I smoke regularly now, but I've cut down since I found out I was pregnant.
- I smoke every once in a while.
- I have quit smoking since finding out I was pregnant.
- I wasn't smoking around the time I found out I was pregnant, and I don't currently smoke cigarettes.
|Congratulate those smokers who have quit on their own.
||To encourage continued abstinence.
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide