For the Patient Unwilling To Quit
Motivational Interviewing (Continued)
|Roll with Resistance
- Back off and use reflection when the patient expresses resistance: "Sounds like you are feeling pressured about your smoking."
- Express empathy: "You are worried about how you would manage withdrawal symptoms."
- Ask permission to provide information: "Would you like to hear about some strategies that can help you address that concern when you quit?"
- Help the patient to identify and build on past successes: "So you were fairly successful the last time you tried to quit."
- Offer options for achievable small steps toward change.
- Call the quitline (1-800-QUIT-NOW) for advice and information
- Read about quitting benefits and strategies
- Change smoking patterns (e.g., no smoking in the home)
- Ask the patient to share his or her ideas about quitting strategies.
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide