Institution: Massachusetts General Hospital
Grant Title: Improving End-of-Life Care for Cancer Patients with Video Decision Aids
Grant Number: K08 HS18780
Duration: 5 years (2010-2015)
Total Award: $800,300
Project Description: This research has three main aims:
- Create a goals-of-care video decision aid for advanced cancer adhering to quality criteria for decision aids and assess the comfort level with the strategy of using video images in a patient decision aid on advance care planning.
- Compare the end-of-life preferences, knowledge decisional conflict, comfort, and predictors of preferences among subjects randomly assigned to one of two decision-making modalities.
- Assess oncologists' perceptions of the video decision aid, their expressed intent to use it, and their subsequent use of the video decision aid in actual clinical practice.
Career Goals: Dr. Volandes is an Instructor at the Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital. He received his MD from Yale University and served his residency at the Hospital University of Pennsylvania. The grantee was later a Clinical Research Fellow at the Center for Bioethics, Brigham & Women's Hospital. His long-term career goal is to become a skilled and established independent clinical investigator in health information technologies, specifically in the area of health care decisionmaking.
Progress to Date: Dr. Volandes developed a video decision aid for patients with advanced cancer that will serve as the basis for the remaining years of the grant. He surveyed 32 subjects with various advanced cancers from a variety of age groups. The video was shown to 14 subjects with advanced cancer.
Future Plans: Work will begin on Aim #2.
Highlights and Specific Accomplishments:
- John Hartford Foundation Junior Faculty Fellow, 2007.
- George Bennett Fellowship, 2007.
- Alzheimer's Association New Investigator Award, 2007.
- Merck/American Geriatrics Society New Investigator Award, 2009.
K-Generated Publications: None thus far.
Return to Recently Funded Career Development Award Grants