Project RED: Principles of the Newly Re-Engineered Hospital Discharge
- Explicit delineation of roles and responsibilities.
- Discharge process initiation upon admission.
- Patient education throughout hospitalization.
- Timely accurate information flow:
- From PCP [primary care physician] → Among Hospital team → Back to PCP.
- Complete pt. discharge summary prior to discharge.
- Comprehensive written discharge plan given to pt. prior to discharge.
- Discharge information in pts. language and literacy level.
- Reinforcement of plan with patient after discharge.
- Availability of case management staff outside of limited daytime hours.
- Continuous quality improvement of discharge processes.
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide