Studies of Rehospitalizations
- Nearly 20% of Medicare hospitalizations are followed by readmission within 30 days.
- 90% of rehospitalizations within 30 days appear to be unplanned, the result of clinical deterioration.
- MedPAC: 75% of readmissions preventable, adding $12 Bn/yr to Medicare spending.
- Only half of the patients rehospitalized within 30 days had a physician visit before readmission.
- Unknown if lack of physician visit causes readmissions—but poor continuity of care, esp for many chronically ill patients.
- 19% of Medicare discharges are followed by an adverse event within 30 days—2/3 are drug events, the kind most often judged "preventable."
Previous Slide Contents Next Slide