Research shows that when patients are engaged in their health care, it can lead to measurable improvements in safety and quality. To promote stronger engagement, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) is developing a guide to help patients, families, and health professionals work together as partners to promote improvements in care.
As a first step to develop the patient guide, AHRQ conducted an environmental scan assessing the current literature, tools, and resources available to engage patients and families in their care in the hospital setting. The scan includes:
- A framework that describes how patient and family engagement can lead to improved quality and safety.
- A description of factors that influence patient and family engagement, including characteristics and perspectives of patients, families, health care professionals, and hospital organizational and cultural factors.
- Hospital-based methods and materials currently being used to engage patients and families in the safety and quality of care.
- An analysis of what materials are needed but do not currently exist.
Read the findings from the environmental scan report, Guide to Patient and Family Engagement: Final Environmental Scan Report, at: http://www.ahrq.gov/qual/ptfamilyscan/.
Based on the environmental scan report, AHRQ developed a draft Patent/Family Engagement Guide that is undergoing pilot testing at three hospitals. The guide will be refined based on feedback from patients, family members, health professionals, and hospital administrators. The final guide is expected to be available in mid-2013.
The draft Patient/Family Engagement Guide focuses on four primary strategies for promoting patient/family engagement in hospital safety and quality of care:
- Encourage patients and family members to participate as advisors.
- Promote better communication among patients, family members, and health care professionals from the point of admission.
- Implement safe continuity of care by keeping the patient and family informed through nurse bedside change-of-shift reports.
- Engage patients and families in discharge planning throughout the hospital stay.
For more information about the environmental scan and/or the draft Patient/Family Engagement Guide, contact Margie Shofer at (301) 427-1259 or Marjorie.email@example.com.
Current as of June 2012
Engaging Patients and Families in the Quality and Safety of Hospital Care. June 2012. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/qual/engagingptfam.htm