- ___ Select area and topic.
- ___ Determine coleader and team members.
- ___ Complete Team Charter.
- ___ Ask a few hard questions, e.g.:
—Will this team improve your value stream?
—Will this team improve the area's key measurements?
- ___ Prepare the business case for this improvement event.
- ___ Define the objectives and deliverables expected from the event team.
- ___ Define the measurements and targets for the team. Make sure there are only three or fewer key measurements.
- ___ Review action deliverables, measurements, and targets with the external or internal consultant. Revise if needed.
- ___ Schedule event team meetings for next 2 weeks.
- ___ Schedule meeting to educate stakeholders (ssc/ managers/directors of involved departments).
- ___ Send invitations to join to team members.
Schedule Team Meetings
|Project Planning—Develop Plan To Gather Current State Data
- ___ Determine actual customer demand.
- ___ Determine backlog or wait times.
- ___ Determine actual output.
- ___ Determine total hours worked to create this output.
- ___ Calculate productivity: output/total hours worked.
- ___ Calculate relevant cycle times.
- ___ Determine top 5–10 problems.
- ___ Review occurrences/complaints in the past 12 months, if applicable.
- ___ Review customer and patient satisfaction comments. List top five issues from complaints, rework, and delays.
- ___ Post announcement about rapid improvement event date, time, and focus.
- ___ Put up a blank flipchart to get suggestions/feedback. Ask questions, clarify, and put these ideas on a list.
- ___ Discuss rapid improvement event in staff meetings. Explain objectives, measurements, and targets.
- ___ Review and confirm team members. Confirm entire week commitment.
- ___ Team introductions
- ___ Why are we here? What is the scope?
- ___ Lean orientation
- ___ Event schedule, measurements, targets, and action deliverables
- ___ Business case and Team Charter
- ___ Tasks to team for data preparation
- ___ Resolve open items.
- ___ Define clearly the boundaries of the event:
—Who are the customers? What are the outputs? What triggers the area to do something for a customer?
—Who are the suppliers? What are the inputs?
—Prepare additional flowcharts, spaghetti diagrams, layouts, and time studies, as needed.
- ___ Brief the consultant.
- ___ Prepare supplies and logistics for the team:
—Locations and schedules
- ___ Review measurements, targets, and objectives.
- ___ Review data collected to date.
- ___ Ask for feedback; try to address concerns.
- ___ Reinforce what's in it for them.
- ___ Establish group norms.
- ___ Discuss roles of team members during week.
- ___ Reconfirm scheduled commitments with each team member, supervisor, etc.