James Levett, M.D., Kirkwood Community College, Cedar Rapids, IA
AHRQ Grant No. HS015830-01
This project applied ISO 9001 principles to establish a virtual anticoagulation clinic for two hospitals and two physician practices and resulted in the development of a model for developing safe care delivery systems. The toolkit features:
- Tools for implementing a virtual anticoagulation clinic by other communities of providers.
- Training materials on teaching ISO 9001 quality concepts.
- Anticoagulation care guidelines.
- Techniques for simplifying and controlling documents across multiple institutions and sites of care.
- Guidelines for utilizing auditing, and corrective and preventive action plans to monitor clinical outcomes.
- Patient education materials.
Physicians, nurses, pharmacists, patients, caregivers.
Health Care Setting
Hospital care units, pharmacies, outpatient facilities.
Toolkit Web Site
Video—Staying Active and Healthy with Blood Thinners in English and Spanish.
Booklet—Blood Thinner Pills: Your Guide to Using Them Safely in English and Spanish.
Clinician Kit — Clinicians can receive a kit with 1 DVD of the video, 1 booklet, and 25 copies of a flier listing free resources that address how to use blood thinners safely by calling 800-358-9295 and requesting AHRQ Publication No. 09-0086.
AHRQ Announces New Video to Help Patients Use Blood Thinner Pills Safely and Effectively
September 14, 2009
Blood Thinner Pills — AHRQ Releases New Video for Consumers
New Warfarin Guide
Medication Safety: Anticoagulation Management
Date: September 8, 2008
Venue: 2008 AHRQ Annual Conference
Return to Contents