- Clues that patient has general literacy issues:
- Incompletely filled-out forms
- Frequently missed appointments
- Poor compliance
- Inability to identify the name, purpose, or timing of medication
- Not asking any questions
- Reaction to written materials
- "I forgot my glasses. Can you read it to me?"
- "I will read it at home."
* Graham and Brookey
There are cues to watch for that may indicate the patient cannot read or may have difficulty learning through written words. Look for these signs and consider them as you plan your approach to teaching and assessing the patient's understanding.