Principles of the Re-Engineered Hospital Discharge
- Explicit delineation of roles and responsibilities
- Discharge process initiation upon admission
- Patient education throughout hospitalization
- Timely accurate information flow:
From PCP ► Among hospital team ► Back to PCP
- Complete patient discharge summary prior to discharge
Project RED requires well-defined roles and responsibilities for members of the health care team and is initiated when the patient is admitted to the hospital. Patient education occurs throughout the hospitalization, not 10 minutes before discharge. Information flows in a timely fashion across caregivers and settings and is comprehensive and accurate.