- Discuss best days of week and times of day with patient
- Discuss transportation needs
- Call clinicians' offices to make appointments that meet patient's time options
- Leave message with clinician's office to call patient if calling outside of normal hours or on a weekend
- Add appointments to Patient Care Plan
At discharge, a patient often is given a list of follow-up appointments to make. This component of Project RED focuses on making the appointments for the patient before he or she leaves the hospital. The DA or designee discusses the patient’s availability on days and times of day and discuss any transportation needs. Armed with that information, the DA schedules the follow-up appointments, attempting to make an appointment for a date and time convenient for the patient. For weekend discharges, the DA should leave a message with the clinician’s office to call the patient to schedule the follow-up appointment.
All appointments should be added to the Patient Care Plan and reviewed with the patient.