- Use simple lay language; explain the concept or demonstrate the process avoiding technical terms; use a professional translator if a language barrier exists
- Ask the patient or caregiver to repeat the concept in his or her own words or to demonstrate the process
- Identify and correct misunderstandings or an incorrect procedure
- Ask the patient or caregiver to repeat the concept or repeat the process to demonstrate understanding
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until clinician is convinced comprehension and ability to perform process is adequate and safe
*Society of Hospital Medicine
The Society of Hospital Medicine offers these five steps for teach-back.