- “Do you see yourself as able to follow these instructions?”
- “Is there anything you can think of that will keep you from following these instructions?”
- Functional barriers (e.g., memory)
- Environmental barriers (e.g., lack of support person at home)
- Attitudinal barriers (e.g., lack of trust)
- “Please demonstrate the activity I’ve just explained to you or shown you.”
Most discharge procedures check patient comprehension but not whether the patient can actually do what was taught. This slide shows additional points to consider when you conduct final teaching and assess the patient’s comprehension.