RED Checklist: Discharge and Followup
11 mutually reinforcing components:
- Medication reconciliation
- Reconcile discharge plan with national guidelines
- Follow-up appointments
- Outstanding tests
- Post-discharge services
- Written discharge plan
- What to do if problem arises
- Patient education
- Assess patient understanding
- Discharge summary sent to PCP
- Telephone reinforcement
The 11 components of RED overlap throughout the hospital stay. The ones highlighted on this slide focus on the end of the acute-care stay:
- Scheduling appointments.
- Reviewing pending tests.
- Writing the final discharge plan.
- Teaching the patient.
- Assessing patient understanding.
- Performing post-discharge activities related to contacting the PCP and patient.