Patient Safety Improvement Corps Training DVD
Developed by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and the Department of Veterans Affairs National Center for Patient Safety, a new DVD presents a self-paced, modular approach to training individuals involved in patient safety activities at the institutional level.
The Patient Safety Improvement Corps (PSIC) seeks to improve patient safety by providing knowledge and tools to patient safety officers and other staff responsible for patient safety reporting, intervention, and analysis in hospitals, health care systems, and other relevant facilities and organizations. Select for more information about the PSIC.
The DVD provides a self-paced, modular approach to training individuals involved in patient safety activities at the institutional level. The DVD presents eight modules that provide processes and tools that can be used to develop a systems-based approach to patient safety including:
- Investigation of medical errors and their root causes.
- Identification, implementation, and evaluation of system-level interventions to address patient safety concerns.
- Steps necessary to promote a culture of safety within a hospital or other health care facility.
Each module includes one to five separate lessons, as well as tools and other resources that can be downloaded from the DVD. The course takes several hours to complete, but users may pause and restart the course as often as needed.
The eight modules are:
- Patient Safety, Why Bother?
- Creating a Culture of Safety.
- When to do a Root Cause Analysis.
- How to do a Root Cause Analysis.
- Human Factor Engineering.
- Management of Risk.
- Proactive Risk Assessment Tools.
- Statistical Tools and Patient Safety Indicators.
This DVD can be used with Macintoshs® or PCs with a DVD drive. The DVD can be ordered from the AHRQ Publications Clearinghouse by calling 800-358-9295 or sending an E-mail to email@example.com. Ask for AHRQ Publication No. 07-0035-DVD.
Current as of September 2007
Tools, Methods, and Techniques for Improving Patient Safety.
Patient Safety Improvement Corps Training DVD. Current as of September 2007. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/qual/psicdvd.htm