Table 3a. Examples of Evaluation Measures for Self-management Support Programs for Common Chronic Conditions
|A. Structure of self-management support program
||B. Processes of self-management support
||C. Patient self-efficacy and knowledge
||D1. Patient behavior
- Staffing ratios.
- Staff qualifications.
- Hours of training.
- Initial contact rate.
- Enrollment rate.
- Completion rate.
- Appropriate referrals to self-management support program.
- Knowledge, gaps.
- Self-efficacy barriers.
- Attitude and behavior barriers.
- Documented staging.
- Education sessions.
- Content covered.
- Contact frequency.
- Call duration.
- Call content.
- A written action plan.
- Spacers and peak flow meters distributed.
- Smoking cessation counseling.
- Patient knowledge.
- Asthma knowledge acquisition.
- Diabetes knowledge and beliefs.
- Diabetes knowledge deficiency.
- Health locus of control.
- Prescription drug purchase/refills (e.g., beta agonists, inhaled corticosteroids, leukotrine modifiers, oral steroids, other asthma drugs).
- Persistency of medication use.
- Time to refill.
- Self-management practices regarding diet, foot care, physical activity, glucose monitoring, M.D. visits, diabetes health exams.
- Smoking rates.
- Quantity and frequency of exercise.
- Stress management.
- Breakfast eaten.
- Patient-provider communication.
- Ownership and use of peak flow meter.
- Cognitive symptom management.
Note: For this table, common chronic conditions are defined as asthma, cardiovascular disease, depression, diabetes, heart failure, and migraine headaches. Examples are taken from the literature.
Return to Document