Slide Presentation from the Webinar on AHRQ Quality Indicators Toolkit for Hospitals
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) developed a toolkit to help hospitals understand the Quality Indicators (QIs). To orient users to the toolkit, AHRQ held a Web seminar on February 15, 2012. The following is a text version of the slide presentation made by Joanna Jiang, Donna Farley, Peter Hussey, and Ellen Robinson.
Select to access the PowerPoint® presentation (900 KB). Plugin Software Help.
How To Improve Performance on the AHRQ Inpatient Quality and Patient Safety Indicators:
Introducing a Toolkit for Hospitals
February 15, 2012
2:30-4:00 pm ET
Joanna Jiang, PhD
Senior Research Scientist, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
Donna Farley, PhD
Senior Health Policy Analyst, RAND Corporation
Peter Hussey, PhD
Policy Researcher, RAND Corporation
Ellen Robinson, PT, ATC
Clinical Quality Specialist, UW Medicine at Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington
- Purpose of the Toolkit.
- Overview of the Toolkit.
- Development of the Toolkit.
- Key Findings from Field Tests.
- Using the Toolkit.
Getting More Information
- Where can I find the Toolkit?
- Can other people hear this presentation later?
Yes, a video of this Webinar will be available on the Toolkit page.
- Will I be able to learn more about the Toolkit?
Yes, audio interviews about specific tools will be added to the Toolkit page.
- Hearing us: Please turn on your speakers. Audio is provided through your computer.
- Asking questions: Please type your questions into the "Q&A" box on your screen.
- Using closed captioning.
- Getting help: For technical assistance, please call 800-422-3623.
Why the AHRQ QIs?
…Increased Use in Policy
AHRQ QIs appear in public reports in 26 states
Image: Map shows the States: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Reports PSIs and IQIs on Hospital Compare
AHRQ Patient Safety Indicators (PSIs)
- PSI 04—Death among surgical inpatients with serious treatable complications.
- PSI 06—Iatrogenic pneumothorax.
- PSI 11—Postoperative respiratory failure.
- PSI 12—Postoperative PE or DVT.
- PSI 14—Postoperative wound dehiscence.
- PSI 15—Accidental puncture or laceration.
- PSI Composite—Complication/patient safety for selected PSI.
AHRQ Inpatient Quality Indicators (IQIs)
- IQI 11—Abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) repair mortality.
- IQI 19—Hip fracture mortality rate.
- IQI Composite #2—Mortality for selected medical conditions.
Current as of March 2012
How To Improve Performance on the AHRQ Inpatient Quality and Patient Safety Indicators. Text version of slide presentation from the Webinar on AHRQ Quality Indicators Toolkit for Hospitals, held on February 15, 2012. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/qual/qitoolkit/webinar0215/introtoolkit.htm