18. Health Literacy Linked to Death Rates, ED Visits, Hospitalizations
- Health literacy is the ability to understand and use basic health information.
- More than 75 million English-speaking Americans have limited health literacy.
- Limited health literacy tied to:
- Lower rates of flu shots and mammograms.
- Higher rates of taking medicines incorrectly.
- Poorer health and higher risk of death in older adults.
Berkman ND, Sheridan SL, Donahue KE, et al. Health Literacy Interventions and Outcomes: A Systematic Review. AHRQ Evidence Report/Technology Assessment No. 199. AHRQ Publication No. 11-E006; March 2011.