19. Treatments Show Promise in Reducing Autism-related Behaviors
- New comparative effectiveness review from Effective Health Care (EHC) Program:
- Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) affect nearly 1 percent of children in the United States.
- Some medications can reduce selected behaviors in children with ASDs but have significant side effects.
- Behavioral treatments show promise but evidence of effectiveness is limited.
- The drug Secretin has been studied extensively and shows no effectiveness.
Page originally created August 2011