Background Report for the Request for Public Comment on Initial, Recommended Core Set of Children's Healthcare Quality Measures for Voluntary Use by Medicaid and CHIP Programs
1. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. State Demo Grants. CHIPRA [10/07/2009; http://www.cms.hhs.gov/CHIPRA/07_StateDemo.asp#TopOfPage. Accessed Oct. 9, 2009.
2. Centers: Medicaid American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) Section 4201 Health Information Technology (HIT) Planning Activities Potentially Eligible for 90 Percent HIT Administrative Match. State Medicaid Director Letters [Sep.1; http://www.cms.hhs.gov/smdl/downloads/SMD090109Att5.pdf [ PDF file, 40 KB]. Accessed Oct. 9, 2009.
3. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. National Advisory Council Subcommittee on Quality Measures for Children's Healthcare in Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP). Children's HealthCare Quality—Activities Related to the Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act (CHIPRA) [July; http://www.ahrq.gov/policymakers/chipra/. Accessed Oct. 6, 2009.
4. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. National Advisory Council for Healthcare Research and Quality. Accessed Oct. 6, 2009.
5. Schiff J, Mangione-Smith R. Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) Progress Report to the AHRQ National Advisory Council on Healthcare Research and Quality Presentation]. July 24; http://www.ahrq.gov/policymakers/chipra/chipraarch/chipra072209/schiff/index.html. Accessed Oct. 7, 2009.
6. Clancy C. Introductory remarks and charge to the Subcommittee. July 22; http://www.ahrq.gov/policymakers/chipra/chipraarch/chipra072209/clancy/index.html. Accessed Oct. 7, 2009.
7. Mann C, Dailey B. CMS and AHRQ Partnership Overview First meeting of the AHRQ NAC SNAC [July 22, 2009; http://www.ahrq.gov/policymakers/chipra/chipraarch/chipra072209/mann/index.html. Accessed Oct. 7, 2009.
8. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Archived Video Webcast: AHRQ National Advisory Council for Healthcare Research Quality Subcommittee on Quality Measures for Children in Medicaid and Children's Health Insurance Programs (CHIPRA). CHIP [Sep. 18, 2009; http://www.connectlive.com/events/ahrq2009/. Accessed Oct. 9, 2009.
9. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Medicaid Early & Periodic Screening & Diagnostic Treatment Benefit Overview. http://www.cms.hhs.gov/MedicaidEarlyPeriodicScrn/. Accessed Oct. 6, 2009.
15. Kaiser Family Foundation. United States: People in Poverty—Poverty Rate by Age, states, (2007-2008), U.S. (2008). statehealthfacts.org [http://www.statehealthfacts.org/profileind.jsp?cat=1&sub=2&rgn=1. Accessed Oct. 20, 2009.
16. Kaiser Family Foundation. United States: Population Distribution of Children by Race/Ethnicity, states (2007-2008), U.S. (2008). statehealthfacts.org [http://www.statehealthfacts.org/profileind.jsp?ind=7&rgn=1&cat=1. Accessed Oct. 20, 2009.
18. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Invitation to apply for FY2010 CHIPRA Quality Demonstration Grants (CFDA 93.767). Sep. 30 http://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Outreach/OpenDoorForums/downloads/DemoLIHAPresentation032310.pdf [ PDF file, 815 KB]. Accessed Oct. 6, 2009.
19. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Counseling and Interventions to Prevent Tobacco Use and Tobacco-Caused Disease in Adults and Pregnant Women Recommendations [April 2009, http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/uspstbac2.htm. Accessed Oct. 9, 2009.
20. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality HCUPNet. 2007 National statistics: Outcomes by patient and hospital characteristics for Major Diagnostic Category 14 Pregnancy, Childbirth & The Puerperium. Rockville, MD: AHRQ; 2007.
22. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Recommendations. Accessed Oct. 5, 2009.
24. Coonrod D, Drachman D, Hobson P, Manriquez M. Nulliparous term singleton vertex cesarean delivery rates: Institutional and individual level predictors. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. June 2008: 694.e691-e611.
25. Main E, Moore D, Farrell B, et al. Is there a useful cesarean birth measure? Assessment of the nulliparous term singleton vertex cesarean birth rate as a tool for obstetric quality improvement. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. June 2006;194(6):1644-1651.
27. American Academy of Pediatrics. https://aap.org/research/abstracts/02abstract4.htm.
28. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Vaccines for Children program Programs and tools [http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/vfc/default.htm. Accessed Oct. 5, 2009.
29. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Table 6_2_1.1—Children ages 19�35 months who received all recommended vaccines (4:3:1:3:3),a United States, 1998 and 2006. National Healthcare Quality Report [. Accessed Sep. 30, 2009.
30. Singleton J. Table: Estimated vaccination coverage for selected vaccines by health insurance type. 2008 National Immunization Survey—Teen. N=17,835. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases Immunization Services Division Assessment Branch; 2009.
31. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Summary of Notifiable Diseases—United States, 2007--TABLE 3. Reported cases and incidence* of notifiable diseases, by age group—United States, 2007. MMWR [Jul. 9 56(53);1-94: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5653a1.htm. Accessed Oct. 5, 2009.
33.US Preventive Services Task Force. Screening and Interventions for Overweight in Children and Adolescents Recommendations [July 5; http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/uspsobch.htm. Accessed Oct. 5, 2009.
35. National Academy for State Health Policy. Improving the delivery of health care that supports young children's healthy mental development. Feb.; http://www.nashp.org/Files/. Accessed Oct. 5, 2009.
36. Ross A, Clark P. Detailed analysis of proposed quality measure for CHIP - mental health screening - Table of experiences of a five state consortium where this measure was tested during a three year period: HRSA and CMS 2009: E-mail plus 6 table pages
37. Kaiser Family Foundation, CDC, Fund N-C. http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparemaptable.jsp?ind=612&cat=4) 2) Kaiser Family Foundation (http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparemaptable.jsp?ind=236&cat=4) 3) CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/child/devtool.htm) 2) NASHP/Commonwealth Fund (http://www.nashp.org).
38. Bethell C. A profile of leading health problems and health care quality for children using the 2007 National Survey of Children's Health: Draft for use by AHRQ and SNAC Portland, OR: The Child and Adolescent Health Measurement Initiative (CAHMI); July 2009.
40. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2007 National youth risk behavior survey overview. 1-4. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/HealthyYouth/yrbs/pdf/yrbs07_us_overview.pdf [ PDF file, 204 KB].
43. US Preventive Services Task Force. Prevention of Dental Caries in Preschool Children Recommendations. 2004; http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/uspsdnch.htm. Accessed Oct. 5, 2009.
46. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Center for Health Statistics. Table 160. Visits to Office-based physicians and hospital outpatient departments by diagnosis: 2001 and 2006. National Health Statistics Reports [Aug. 6; http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/namcs.htm. Accessed Oct. 9, 2009.
49. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. 2006 National statistics All ED visits (those that resulted in admission to the hospital and those that did not) by patient age and payer - Information on encounters that start in the ED from the HCUP Nationwide Emergency Department Sample (NEDS). Author 2009.
54. Bethell C, Read D, Stein R, Blumberg S, Wells N, Newacheck P. Identifying children with special health care needs: development and evaluation of a short screening instrument. Ambul Pediatr. Jan-Feb 2002;2(1):38-48.
55. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Summary of Health Statistics U.S. Children 2007 National Health Interview Survey National Health Interview Survey [Jan. 2009; http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_10/sr10_239.pdf [ PDF file, 2 MB]. Accessed Oct. 14, 2009.
56. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Table 8_3_2.4: Pediatric asthma admissions (excluding patients with cystic fibrosis or anomalies of the respiratory system and transfers from other institutions) per 100,000 population, ages 2-17, by race/ethnicity, United States, 2005. National Healthcare Quality Reports.
57. MMWR. National Surveillance for Asthma—United States, 1980-2004. MMWR [Oct. 19; 56(SS08);51-14;18-54. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5608a1.htm. Accessed Oct. 14, 2009.
61. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. 1997 Client/Patient Sample Survey Inpatient Discharges, Children, Paid by Medicaid. Client/Patient Sample Survey. Rockville, MD: Author 2009.
62. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Health Resources and Services Administration, David and Lucile Packard Foundation. Mental health needs of low-income children with special health care needs. Rockville, MD April 2009.
63. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. National Healthcare Quality Report and National Healthcare Disparities Report. http://www.ahrq.gov/research/findings/nhqrdr/index.html. Accessed Aug. 15, 2013.
64. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Diabetes Fact Sheet United States. http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/pdf/ndfs_2005.pdf [ PDF file, 55 KB]. 2009.