59. The "5 A's" Model for Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence
- Ask about tobacco use. Identify and document tobacco use status for every patient at every visit.
- Advise to quit. In a clear, strong and personalized manner urge every tobacco user to quit.
- Assess willingness to make a quit attempt. Is the tobacco user willing to make a quit attempt at this time?
- Assist in quit attempt. For the patient willing to make a quit attempt, offer medication and provide or refer for counseling or additional treatment to help the patient quit. For patients unwilling to quit at the time, provide interventions designed to increase future quit attempts.
- Arrange follow-up. For the patient willing to make a quit attempt, arrange for follow-up contacts, beginning within the first week after the quit date. For patients unwilling to make a quit attempt at the time, address tobacco dependence and willingness to quit at next clinic visit.