48. 10 Key Guideline Recommendations (Numbers 4 and 5)
- Brief tobacco dependence treatment is effective. Clinicians should offer every patient who uses tobacco at least the brief treatments shown to be effective in this Guideline.
- Individual, group, and telephone counseling are effective, and their effectiveness increases with treatment intensity. Two components of counseling are especially effective and clinicians should use these when counseling patients making a quit attempt:
- Practical counseling (problem solving/skills training).
- Social support delivered as part of treatment.