Implementation: Classroom Slides
- Slide 1: Implementation
- Slide 2: Objectives
- Slide 3: Course Management Guide
- Slide 4: Shift Toward a Culture of Safety
- Slide 5: TeamSTEPPS Action Planning At a Glance
- Slide 6: Exercise: TeamSTEPPS Action Planning
- Slide 7: Teamwork Actions
- Describe the contents of the course management guide.
- Identify the 10 steps to develop a TeamSTEPPS action plan.
- Develop a TeamSTEPPS action plan.
Provides information on the TeamSTEPPS course:
- Course Versions.
- Preparation and Execution.
- Validated Measurement Tools.
- Sample Course Materials.
The shift process has three phases.
Phase 1: Assessment. Pretraining assessment includes site assessment, culture survey and data/measures. Are these ready? If no, pass through climate improvement and return to pretraining assessment. If yes proceed to action plan and then move on to Phase 2.
Phase 2: Planning, training and implementation. Training leads to intervention. Intervention includes testing and leads to Phase 3.
Phase 3: Sustainment. This phase includes culture change: coach and integrate, monitor the plan, and continuous improvement. Continuous improvement includes going back to training to lead to more culture change.
In short: Set the stage, decide what to do, make it happen and make it stick.
Figure shows a flowchart with 10 steps as follows:
Step 1: Create a Change Team.
Step 2: Define the Problem, Challenge or Opportunity for Improvement.
Step 3: Define the Aim(s) of your TeamSTEPPS Intervention.
Step 4: Design a TeamSTEPPS Intervention: Identify Priority Problem, Challenge or Opportunity from Step 2.
Step 5: Develop a Plan for Testing the Effectiveness of Your TeamSTEPPS Intervention.
Step 6: Develop an Implementation Plan.
Step 7: Develop a Plan for Sustained Continuous Improvement.
Step 8: Develop a Communication Plan.
Step 9: Putting it All Together: Write the TeamSTEPPS Action Plan.
Step 10: Review your TeamSTEPPS Action Plan with Key Personnel.
Step 10 leads through Incorporate Feedback from Key Personnel back to Step 2.
- Break into small groups by unit.
- Develop an action plan.
- Discuss the action plan with the class.
- Develop an Action Plan for how to achieve goals:
- Plan what you want to do.
- Implement your Action Plan:
- Do what you planned.
- Test your intervention and Study what you did:
- Celebrate short-term wins.
- Integrate and sustain the change (continuing to Study and Act on the results):
- Monitor the change (Study)—continuously assess effectiveness and identify opportunities for further improvement.
- Implement further improvements/changes (Act).