Health Assessments in Primary Care
Appendix 7: Health Assessments for Seniors
- Go to Appendix 4 for sample questions marked with and are suitable to for the Annual Wellness Visit.
- American Academy of Family Physicians Annual Wellness Visit questionnaire and resources (membership may be required for some resources).
- American College of Physicians Annual Wellness Visit questionnaire and resources (membership may be required for some resources).
- "How's Your Health" online Medicare Wellness Checkup questionnaire (with printable results).
Billing and Coding
- The American College of Physicians offers billing and coding guidance specifically for Medicare patients, including the Annual Wellness Visit.
- The American Academy Family Physicians: billing and coding guidance for the Annual Wellness Visit.
Sample Script for Annual Wellness Visit Scheduling
Patient: "I'd like to schedule my annual physical. I am a Medicare patient and I think there should be no co-pay for this."
Scheduler: "Are you interested in the Annual Wellness Visit? That visit is covered once a year by Medicare with no co-pay. There is also a Welcome to Medicare visit which is also no co-pay if it is your first year having Medicare coverage."
Patient: "I think it's the Annual Wellness Visit that I had heard about."
Scheduler: "Yes, we can schedule that. The Annual Wellness Visit looks at your overall health, plus plans to help you stay healthy. Instead of a head-to-toe exam, it involves completion of a questionnaire which may take up to 20 minutes to complete. These questions are very helpful for your doctor/provider in determining how to keep you healthy."
Patient: "Thank you. Yes I'd like to schedule it. I'm fairly healthy overall."
Scheduler: "Very good. I'll schedule it for you now. Keep in mind that if your provider spends time to address issues that arise from completion of the wellness questionnaire, you'll have a co-pay or deductible just like you would for any other visit."
Note: Schedule the annual wellness visit appointment and recommend the patient read his or her Medicare information about what to expect during the annual wellness visit.