Practice Facilitation Handbook
Module 16 Trainer’s Guide: Introduction to the Care Model
- Presession preparation for learners: 115 minutes
- Session: 60 minutes
__ Access to computer, speakers, and Internet.
Learners will be able to describe:
- Key elements of the Care Model.
- Key elements of a patient-centered medical home (PCMH).
- How the Care Model and PCMH relate.
Exercises and Activities To Complete Before and During the Session
Read (15 minutes)
- Module 16.
Watch (100 minutes)
- Ed Wagner’s Improving Chronic Illness Care Across the Population online video. Available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJe7Y9-cRgw.
- National Committee on Quality Assurance (NCQA)’s video on the PCMH. Available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC4YCLG4h5k&feature=player_embedded.
During the Session
Present (15 minutes)
- Module 16.
Discuss (45 minutes)
- What are the core elements of the Care Model?
- What are the core elements of the PCMH?
- What is the relationship between the Care Model and the PCMH?
- What does research say about the effects of implementing the Care Model or PCMH in safety net practices on patient outcomes? Patient experience? Costs of care for the practice? Costs of care for the payer?
Page originally created May 2013