Practice Facilitation Handbook
Module 1 Trainer’s Guide: Practice Facilitation as a Resource for Practice Improvement
Module 1 Trainer's Guide
- Presession preparation for learners: 30 minutes
- Session: 85 minutes
- Followup by trainer: 30-60 minutes
__ Internet access and video display.
__ Online access or paper copy for each learner of:
- Baskerville NB, Liddy C, Hogg W. Systematic review and meta-analysis of practice facilitation within primary care settings. Ann Fam Med 2012;10(1):63-74. Available at: http://annfammed.org/content/10/1/63.full.pdf.
- Practice Facilitator Professional Development and Training Plan. Go to Appendix Module 1 [ PDF version - 858.76 KB ].
- Be able to describe the function and key activities of a practice facilitator.
- Be able to describe the core competencies of practice facilitators.
- Create a Practice Facilitator Professional Development Plan based on information from this module.
Exercises and Activities To Complete Before, During, and After the Session
Read (30 minutes)
- Module 1.
- Baskerville NB, Liddy C, Hogg W. Systematic review and meta-analysis of practice facilitation within primary care settings. Ann Fam Med, 2012;10(1):63-74. Available at: http://annfammed.org/content/10/1/63.full.pdf.
During the Session
Present/review (25 minutes)
- Module 1.
Read and discuss (15 minutes)
- Discuss content of the module:
- What is the purpose and goal of practice facilitation?
- What skills do facilitators need?
- Discuss the Baskerville article and the evidence supporting practice facilitation.
Act (45 minutes)
- Introduce the Practice Facilitator Professional Development and Training Plan form to the learners
- Explain that the form will be used to design training, both didactic and experiential, tailored to their specific learning needs.
- Explain that the form is based on core competencies that practice facilitators need to introduce continuous quality improvement in a practice and to support implementation of the Care Model, the patient-centered medical home, and meaningful use.
- Ask each learner to complete the Practice Facilitator Professional Development and Training Plan using the paper form contained in the Appendix.
Note: It is helpful to enter the items into an online survey platform and use this to collect and monitor this information for participants.
After the Session (For Trainer only – 30 to 60 minutes, depending on number of learners)
- Review the Practice Facilitator Professional Development and Training Plans completed by the learners during Module 1.
- Use Plans to identify learners who rate themselves as “very confident” in specific areas to engage as co-leaders for future training sessions.
- Use results of plans to determine which topics to emphasize in future trainings and to identify areas where existing training materials may need to be supplemented with additional content.