Designing Consumer Reporting Systems for Patient Safety Events
Exhibit 4. Consumer reporting systems-Organizational structure and characteristics
[D] Text Description:
A flowchart shows consumer reporting systems.
Local consumer input flows to a system central hub with the following characteristics:
- Is an independent entity with a steady stream of sustainable funding.
- Governing body members' fiduciary responsibility is to represent the public.
- Neutral oversight body with consumer representation exists.
- Has transparency of goals, process, and results.
- Consumers are involved in organizational governance and operations.
The system central hub has bidirectional links to other systems and organizations. The links have the following purpose:
- Share results to change health care practices.
- Demonstrate that reported information was used.
- Address needs of reporters that can't be addressed by consumer reporting systems.
- Encourage reporting.
- Improve analyses.
Page originally created September 2012