Asthma Care Quality Improvement
This Resource Guide was prepared for the Agency for Healthcare Research Quality (AHRQ) by Thomson Medstat and The Council of State Governments (Contract No. 290-00-0004); and updated by Thomson Reuters (formerly Thomson Medstat).
This effort was motivated and guided by the following AHRQ staff: Dwight McNeill, Ph.D., AHRQ Task Leader; Ernest Moy, M.D., M.P.H., Director of the National Healthcare Quality Report and Disparities Reports; Denise Dougherty, Ph.D., Special Advisor on Child Health; Roxanne Andrews, Senior Health Services Researcher, Center for Delivery, Organization, and Markets; and DonnaRae Castillo, Publications Editor, Office of Communications and Knowledge Transfer (retired).
We also acknowledge the special contributions of the following individuals and groups:
- Several members of AHRQ's Asthma Steering Committee provided valuable comments and recommendations on earlier drafts of this Resource Guide. They are: James Stout (University of Washington), Diana Schmidt (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute), Stephen Redd (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), David Greenberg (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services), Ashok Patel (American Thoracic Society member), Maureen George (American Thoracic Society member), Kirsten Aired (Oregon Asthma Program), Amy Friedman (Allies Against Asthma), Katherine Pruitt (American Lung Association), Asua Ofosu (American Thoracic Society), Mary Tyrell (South Carolina State Budget and Control Board), Vi Naylor (Georgia Hospital Association), and Carolyn Turner (Florida Agency for Health Care Administration).
- Partners in the Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) from State hospital associations and State government agencies contributed data and information on the four States featured in this Resource Guide. They are:
- Maryland—Brian Jacque (Health Services Cost Review Commission, Department of Research and Methodology).
- Michigan—Bob Zorn (Michigan Health & Hospital Association).
- New Jersey—Frances Prestianni (New Jersey Department of Health & Senior Services).
- Vermont—Lauri Scharf (Vermont Association of Hospitals and Health Systems).
- All HCUP Partners make possible the HCUP databases and, thus, derived estimates for asthma hospitalizations published in the National Healthcare Quality and Disparities Reports and this Resource Guide.
- A focus group of legislators and program directors, who are members of the Council of State Governments, guided our effort to make materials more user friendly to government executives. They are: Representative Marilyn Lee (Hawaii), Representative Kathy Miles (South Dakota), Representative Jean Hunhoff (South Dakota), and DeeAnne Mansfield (Kentucky Legislative Research Commission).
This document is in the public domain within the United States only and may be used and reproduced without permission. AHRQ appreciates citation as to source and the suggested format is below. Foreign countries and users who want to distribute content on a global basis in electronic form or print should submit specific permission requests for use to: https://info.ahrq.gov.
Suggested citation: Coffey RM, Ho K, Adamson DM, et al. Asthma care quality improvement: a resource guide for state action. (Prepared by Thomson Medstat and the Council of State Governments under Contract No. 290-00-0004; updated by Thomson Reuters, formerly Thomson Medstat). Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; April 2006, updated October 2009. AHRQ Pub. No. 06(10)-0012.
Asthma Steering Committee
The following experts in asthma care and State health policy were assembled by AHRQ to guide the development of this Resource Guide.
Oregon Asthma Program
Michelle Cloutier, M.D.
Connecticut Children's Medical Center
Allies Against Asthma
Min Gayles, M.P.H.
National Committee for Quality Assurance
Maureen George, Ph.D., R.N.
American Thoracic Society member
Foster Gesten, M.D.
New York State Department of Health
David Greenberg, M.B.A.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
Jayne Jones, M.P.H.
Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council
Carole Lannon, M.D., M.P.H.
North Carolina Center for Children's Healthcare Improvement
Georgia Hospital Association
American Thoracic Society
Ashok Patel, M.D.
American Thoracic Society member
American Lung Association
Stephen Redd, M.D.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Georgia Hospital Association Research & Education Foundation
Diana Schmidt, M.P.H.
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Sharon Sprenger, M.P.A., RHIA
Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations
James Stout, M.D., M.P.H.
University of Washington
Florida Agency for Health Care Administration
South Carolina State Budget and Control Board
Kevin Weiss, M.D., M.P.H., FACP
Midwest Center for Health Services and Policy Research and Center for Healthcare Studies at Feinberg School of Medicine