The Falls Management Program: A Quality Improvement Initiative for Nursing Facilities
Appendix B24: Letter to Primary Care Providers
RE: Fall Management Program
I am writing to introduce you to a new quality improvement initiative that our nursing facility will be implementing over the next several months. The Falls Management Program (FMP) is directed at identifying and managing residents at high risk for falls and related injuries. Our leadership is committed to this program, and to continuing to improve care in many key clinical areas such as falls.
The FMP will involve the following:
- Selection and training of a "falls coordinator" and key members of a team that will implement the program in the facility
- A new computerized incident reporting system that will generate quality improvement reports
- Basic nursing assessments on residents who have fallen or who are at high risk for falling, with communication of the results to primary care providers
- Individualized management plans addressing fall risk factors
As a primary care provider for this facility, you will be involved in the FMP. You will be receiving Fax reports on your residents. These reports will be of two different types:
- Results of the nursing assessment, with related recommendations. A Fax order form will be enclosed for your convenience. Please return the Fax order form as soon as possible with your recommendations, so that a management plan can be implemented.
- A notification of falls and recurrent falls in patients who have been assessed in the FMP. Please consider further evaluation and management in collaboration with the facility falls coordinator when one of your residents falls recurrently and/or suffers an injurious fall.
Enclosed with this letter are examples of materials from the FMP. If you have any questions or suggestions about this new quality improvement initiative, please do not hesitate to discuss them with me. Thank you.