The Falls Management Program: A Quality Improvement Initiative for Nursing Facilities
Appendix B5: Falls Assessment Cue Sheet: Wheelchair Comfort Information (Text Description)
Use the following measurements to determine if the wheelchair seat and armrests are the correct size for the resident.
- Correct Seat Width: Hip width + 2 inches = _______
- Correct Seat Depth: Thigh length - 2 inches = _______
- Correct Armrest Height: 1 inch higher than elbow = _______
After the resident has been seated in the wheelchair for at least 1 hour, compare her position with the pictures to determine if she is seated correctly.
- Correct position with two 90º angles [Image shows woman sitting upright in wheelchair].
- Sliding down [Image shows man slumped and sliding down out of wheelchair].
- Leaning over [Image shows woman sitting bent forward in wheelchair].
- Leaning to one side [Image shows woman leaning with one arm dangling over wheelchair armrest].