Cellulitis and Abscess Management in the Era of Resistance to Antibiotics (CAMERA)
Appendix C. Skin and Soft Tissue Patient Information Material
Information for Patients with Skin and Soft Tissue Infections
- Keep wounds that are draining covered with clean, dry, bandages.
- Always wash hands immediately after touching infected skin or any item that has come in direct contact with a draining wound.
- Do not share items that may touch your wound, such as towels, clothing, bedding, soap, razors, and sports equipment.
- Wash clothes that may touch with your wound after each use and dry completely.
- If you cannot keep your wound covered with a clean, dry bandage at all times, do not participate in activities in which you have skin to skin contact with other persons (such as sports activities).
- Disinfect equipment and surfaces that may be touched by more than one person. Use a product that specifies on its label that it disinfects against Staphylococcus aureus.
- Wash hands regularly with soap and water or alcohol-based hand gel.
- Continue to maintain good general hygiene with regular bathing.