AHRQ Publishing and Communications Guidelines
Section 7: Branding Design Element Specifications
Branding and Design Element Treatments
Family of Products
Special Uses for the AHRQ Logo
Artwork File Formats
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) has created a branded identity so that external audiences can easily recognize our messages and materials. The branded identity uses a set of graphic building blocks to identify AHRQ. AHRQ also has developed design elements that assist in identifying an AHRQ product. This section provides an overview of how to apply AHRQ's branded identity and design elements to your products and materials.
The AHRQ branded identity will be referred to as the HHS-AHRQ branding.
The HHS-AHRQ branding must be included on all AHRQ print and electronic products and communication materials produced in-house or by a contractor. The HHS-AHRQ branding is a combination of design elements in this order:
- Department of Health and Human Services logo (Department level).
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality logo (Agency level).
- Advancing Excellence in Health Care (AHRQ's tagline).
- www.ahrq.gov (Agency Web address).
- Optional: other logo or program identification.
Note: The following formats are to be placed at the bottom of the first page of the document.
Teamed with other federal agency examples
Back of publication
These colors are used for overarching Agency products, such as AHRQ Annual Conference materials, that are not aligned with an Agency program. Go to the Family of Products section for guidance on products that are aligned with an Agency program.
Agency generic product examples
For header, footer, and subordinate page header graphics, as well as implementation source codes, contact:
AHRQ Web Site Manager,
Office of Communications
Phone: (301) 427-1897
Header and footer for AHRQ Web site
General AHRQ exhibit
Exhibit tailored to a program
AHRQ staff are required to use the AHRQ slide template for all presentations. It is available on the AHRQ Intranet at http://my.ahrq.gov/AHRQSlidetemplate.
AHRQ master slide template examples
Contractors are not required to use the AHRQ slide template for presentations they make on the Agency's behalf; however, the HHS-AHRQ branding should appear on the title and subsequent slides. The program sub-brand (e.g., Effective Health Care, CAHPS®) may be prominent on the title slide but should not be larger than the HHS-AHRQ branding on subsequent slides.
Contractor logos may not be used on the slides, however the contractor company name may be identified on the title slide. For example, "Presented by _____ under contract to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality."
PowerPoint slide examples with sub-brand
Products for AHRQ's major programs have a "look and feel" that ties the products together as a family. Unique colors and design elements give them their own branded identity within the AHRQ brand.
Design specifications are available for products within AHRQ's major programs. Both in-house and contractor designers must adhere to these specifications when creating products for AHRQ programs. An OCKT managing editor can provide additional information about design specifications.
- Specifications for Effective Health Care (EHC) Publications (PDF File, 575 KB; Plugin Software Help).
- Specifications for EHC Clinician Research Summary (PDF File, 1 MB; Plugin Software Help).
- (PDF File, 430 KB; Plugin Software Help).
- Specifications for Health IT Publications (PDF File, 715 KB; Plugin Software Help).
- Specifications for Patient Safety Publications (PDF File, 380 KB; Plugin Software Help).
- Specifications for Prevention & Chronic Care (PCC) Program Publications (PDF File, 675 KB; Plugin Software Help).
- Specifications for "Stay Healthy" Prevention Consumer Brochures (PDF File, 385 KB; Plugin Software Help).
Special Uses For AHRQ Logo
In most cases, the AHRQ logo must be used with the HHS logo. In some cases, the AHRQ logo may be used by itself. General guidance for using the AHRQ logo by itself follows:
- Do not provide the AHRQ logo where it may be construed as an endorsement.
- Contractors and grantees should provide a funding statement without the AHRQ logo on their products, including poster presentations and reports.
Example: "This project was funded under contract/grant number XXXX from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The opinions expressed [in this document] are those of the authors and do not reflect the official position of AHRQ or the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services."
- In most cases, if other Federal agencies have provided their logo, AHRQ permits its logo to be used.
- Do not provide the logo without first consulting OCKT publishing staff.
- Link to an AHRQ document and include citation of the source (without the AHRQ logo).
- Contractors may use the AHRQ logo (without the HHS logo) for handouts when conducting work on behalf of the Agency, e.g., training materials, PowerPoint slides.
- Grantees may not use the HHS or AHRQ logos on their products.
- Products prepared under contract to AHRQ must include the HHS-AHRQ branding and may not contain contractor logos. The contractor's role is usually given in the acknowledgments section in the front matter.
- The HHS-AHRQ branding is only to be used for official, AHRQ-sponsored products.
Artwork File Formats
The AHRQ design element is available in several formats. The following table will help you determine which format to request.
|Desktop publishing||EPS or TIF|
|Web||JPEG or GIF|
To discuss specific issues or to get additional guidance on branding design element specifications, contact:
Deputy Director of Operations/Publishing
Office of Communications
Phone: (301) 427-1893