CAHPS Research Datasets
CAHPS Database Data Files
In response to requests from researchers interested in using data from CAHPS surveys for research purposes, AHRQ has established a process whereby researchers can request de-identified data files from the CAHPS Database.
The CAHPS Database currently includes:
- CAHPS Health Plan Survey Data—The CAHPS Health Plan Database contains results for the Commercial and Medicaid Survey submitted by various sponsors, including public and private employers, State Medicaid agencies, State Children's Health Insurance Programs (CHIP), and individual health plans. The data sets date back to 1998.
- CAHPS Clinician & Group Survey Data—The CAHPS Clinician & Group Database contains results for multiple versions of this survey submitted by various sponsors, including practice sites, medical groups, and regional health collaboratives. Data on patient experience with doctors and medical groups can be viewed by region, physician specialty, practice ownership and affiliation, number of visits by practice, and survey mode. The data sets date back to 2010.
De-Identified Data Requests
Researchers interested in obtaining de-identified CAHPS survey data from the CAHPS Database must submit a completed Research Abstract Form and a signed Data Release Agreement.
- Information and Instructions for Requesting De-identified Data (PDF, 128 KB)—Provides information and application instructions for researchers interested in obtaining de-identified data files from the CAHPS Database.
- Research Abstract Form (Word, 129 KB; PDF, 159 KB)—Researchers requesting data must submit a completed form outlining the proposed use of the data.
- CAHPS Database Data Release Agreement (PDF, 180 KB)—Researchers requesting data must submit a signed de-identified Data Release Agreement.
For questions or to apply for de-identified CAHPS Data: Email CAHPSDatabase@westat.com (Subject Line: De-identified CAHPS data).
Requests will be fulfilled year-round. On average, the time from receipt of request to release of data is approximately 45 days.