CAHPS Clinician & Group Visit Survey 2.0
The Visit Survey asks patients to report on their experiences with providers and office staff at their most recent visit to a doctor's office. This instrument was designed in response to feedback from stakeholders regarding the need for a CAHPS survey that focuses on experiences during a single visit rather than over a period of time. More targeted feedback about a visit can provide medical practices with valuable information for monitoring and improvement.
Download the CG-CAHPS Visit Survey 2.0 and Instructions (ZIP, 9.58 MB).
Differences Between the Visit Survey and 12-Month Survey
The Visit Survey builds on the previous development of the 12-Month Survey. There are three key differences:
Time Referents. As the name suggests, the Visit Survey is meant to capture information about a patient's most recent visit. However, only questions about doctor communication and office staff ask about the most recent visit. Questions about access to care use a 12-month reference period. In the Child Visit Survey, questions about development and prevention also use a 12-month reference period because those aspects of care do not occur at every visit.
Response Scales. The only difference is that the questions about experiences at the most recent visit use a three-point expanded Yes/No scale: "Yes, definitely/Yes, somewhat/No."
Item Content. The Visit Survey includes three items that are not in the 12-Month Survey:
- Whether you would recommend the provider.
- Time since your most recent visit.
- Wait time at your most recent visit.
Learn more about the development of the CAHPS Clinician and Group Visit Survey 2.0.
Quality Measures From the Visit Survey
The Visit Survey 2.0 produces the same set of patient experience measures as the 12-Month Survey 2.0:
- Getting Timely Appointments, Care, and Information
- How Well Providers Communicate With Patients
- Helpful, Courteous, and Respectful Office Staff
- Patients' Rating of the Provider
- Provider's Attention to Your Child's Growth and Development (Child only)
- Provider's Advice on Keeping Your Child Safe and Healthy (Child only)