Nursing Home Family Member Survey
The CAHPS Nursing Home Surveys include an instrument for gathering information on the experiences of the family members of people in nursing homes. The Family Member Survey asks respondents to report on their own experiences (not the resident’s) with the nursing home and their perceptions of the quality of care provided to a family member living in a nursing home. This instrument is designed to be administered by mail.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services requested development of this questionnaire to complement the Long-Stay Resident Instrument.
To download the Nursing Home Family Member Survey, go to: Get Nursing Home Surveys and Instructions.
Learn about the development of the Family Member Survey.
Quality Measures from the Family Member Survey
The Family Member Survey produces the following measures of patient experience:
- Meeting Basic Needs: Help with Eating, Drinking, and Toileting
- Nurses/Aides' Kindness/ Respect Towards Resident
- Nursing Home Provides Information/ Encourages Respondent Involvement
- Nursing Home Staffing, Care of Belongings, and Cleanliness
- Overall Rating of Care at Nursing Home
Review the measures from the Family Member Survey.
Page originally created November 2011