Articles, Data Highlights, and Reports
Listed alphabetically by author
- Ahluwalia SC, Damberg CL, Silverman M, et al. What defines a high-performing health system: a systematic review. Jt Comm J Qual Pat Saf Epub 2017 July 10. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28844231. Accessed September 22, 2017.
- Ahluwalia SC, Harris BJ, Lewis VA, et al. End-of-life care planning in accountable care organizations: associations with organizational characteristics and capabilities. Health Serv Res 2017 May 30 [Epub ahead of print]. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28560783. Accessed December 7, 2017.
- Cohen GR, Jones DJ, Heeringa J, et al. Leveraging diverse data sources to identify and describe U.S. health care delivery systems. eGEMs 2017 Dec 15. https://egems.academyhealth.org/articles/10.5334/egems.200/. Accessed February 1, 2018.
- Colla CH, Fisher ES. Moving forward with ACOs: some answers, more questions. JAMA 2017;177(4):527-8. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5504469/. Accessed August 9, 2017.
- Colla CH, Lewis VA, Bergquist SL, et al. Accountability across the continuum: the participation of post-acute care providers in accountable care organizations. Health Serv Res 2016;51(4):1595-1611. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4946026/. Accessed August 9, 2017.
- Colla CH, Lewis VA, Kao L-S, et al. Association between Medicare accountable care organization implementation and spending among clinically vulnerable beneficiaries. JAMA Intern Med 2016;176(8):1167-75. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4969198/. Accessed August 9, 2017.
- Comfort L, Shortell SM, Rodriguez HP, et al. Medicare accountable care organizations of diverse structures achieve comparable quality and cost performance. Health Serv Res 2018 Jan 31. [Epub ahead of print] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29388199. Accessed March 12, 2018.
- Desai S, McWilliams JM. Consequences of the 340B Drug Pricing Program. New Engl J Med 2018 Feb 8;378(6):539-48. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29365282. Accessed March 12, 2018.
- Fisher E, Shortell SM, Savitz L. Implementation science: a potential catalyst for delivery system reform. JAMA 2016 Jan 26;315(4):339-40. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5656984/. Accessed December 7, 2017.
- Fowler AC, Grabowski DC, Gambrel RJ, et al. Corporate investors increased common ownership in hospitals and the postacute care and hospice sectors. Health Aff (Millwood) 2017 Sep 1;36(9):1547-55. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28874480. Accessed September 22, 2017.
- Fraze TK, Lewis VA, Tierney E, et al. Quality of care improves for diabetics in Medicare ACOs: organizational characteristics associated with performance. Popul Health Manage 2017 Dec 6. [Epub ahead of print] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29211623. Accessed March 12, 2018.
- Lewis V, Colla C, Fisher E. Perspective: explaining sluggish savings under accountable care. New Engl J Med 2017 Nov 9;377(19):1809-11.
- Lewis VA, Fraze TK, Fisher ES, et al. ACOs serving high proportions of racial and ethnic minorities lag in quality performance. Health Aff (Millwood) 2017;36(1):57-66. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28069847. Accessed August 9, 2017.
- Lewis VA, Murray G, Colla CH. The hidden roles that management partners play in accountable care organizations. Health Aff (Millwood) 2018 Feb;37(2):292-8. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29401012. Accessed March 12, 2018.
- Ly DP, Cutler DM. Factors of U.S. hospitals associated with improved profit margins: an observational study. J Gen Intern Med 2018 Feb 14. [Epub ahead of print] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29445975. Accessed March 12, 2018.
- Miake-Lye IM, Chuang E, Rodriguez HP, et al. Random or predictable? Adoption patterns of chronic care management practices in physician organizations. Implement Sci 2017 Aug 24;12(1):106. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5571615/. Accessed December 7, 2017.
- Ouayogodé MH, Colla CH, Lewis VA. Determinants of success in Shared Savings Programs: an analysis of ACO and market characteristics. Healthc (Amst) 2017 Mar;5(1-2):53-61. Epub 2016 Sep 28. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27687917. Accessed August 9, 2017.
- Peiris D, Phipps-Taylor MC, Stachowski CA, et al. ACOs holding commercial contracts are larger and more efficient than noncommercial ACOs. Health Aff (Millwood) 2016;35(10):1849-56. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5116911/. Accessed August 9, 2017.
- Poon BY, Shortell S, Rodriguez HP. Physician practice transitions to system ownership do not result in diminished practice responsiveness to patients. Health Serv Res 2017 Nov 16. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12804. [Epub ahead of print]
- Roberts E, Mehrotra MD, McWilliams JM. High-price and low-price physician practices do not differ significantly on care quality or efficiency. Health Aff 2017 May;36:5855-64. http://content.healthaffairs.org/content/36/5/855. Accessed July 13, 2017.
- Rumball-Smith J, Shekele P, Damberg C. Electronic health record "super-users" and "under-users" in U.S. ambulatory care practices. Am J Manag Care 2018 Jan;24(1):26-31. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29350506. Accessed February 1, 2018.
- Shortell SM, Poon BY, Ramsay PP, et al. A multilevel analysis of patient engagement and patient-reported outcomes in primary care practices of accountable care organizations. J Gen Intern Med 2017 Jun;32(6):640-7. Epub 2017 Feb 3. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28160187. Accessed July 13, 2017.
- Woloshin S, Schwartz LM, Bagley PJ, et al. Characteristics of interim publications of randomized clinical trials and comparison with final publications. JAMA 2018 Jan 23;319(4):404-6. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29362786. Accessed March 12, 2018.
- Snapshot of U.S. Health Systems, 2016 (PDF, 256 KB)
- U.S. Health System Characteristics, 2016 (PDF, 904 KB)
- Variation in Health System Characteristics Across States, 2016 (PDF, 1.14 MB)
Listed alphabetically by author
- Arnold, Sharon. With AHRQ's New Compendium, Researchers and Policymakers Gain Fresh Insights into Nation's Health Systems. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. AHRQ. September 14, 2017.
- Bindman, Andy. Comparing Health Systems: AHRQ's Signature Effort to Improve Patient Care. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. AHRQ. September 29, 2016.
- Kronick, Richard. New AHRQ-funded Centers to Study Health Systems' Efforts to Disseminate PCOR. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. AHRQ. June 16, 2015.
- Defining Health Care Systems. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD.
- First annual Centers of Excellence Workshop. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD (September 29, 2016).
- Second annual Centers of Excellence Workshop. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD (September 14, 2017) [PDF, 367 KB]
Page last reviewed March 2018
Page originally created September 2016
Page originally created September 2016
Internet Citation: Articles, Data Highlights, and Reports. Content last reviewed March 2018. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. http://www.ahrq.gov/chsp/reports/index.html