Strategies for Practice Leaders to Manage Change
Resource: Engaged Leadership – Strategies for Guiding PCMH Transformation (PDF, 1.3 MB, 37 pages)
This implementation guide provides information on how health care leaders can support organizational changes aimed at improving patient-centered care. Although focused on creating patient-centered medical homes (PCMHs), the guide is applicable to the change strategy of providing organizational and leadership support for evidence-based practice and quality improvement, part of Key Driver 6: Nurture leadership and create a culture of continuous learning and evidence-based practice. This guide offers practical information as well as tips, ideas, and case studies about how to cultivate engaged leadership in order to transform and improve care. Sections of the guide include:
- Chart the Course: Build Will for Change.
- Case Study: Encouraging Leaders at Every Level.
- Use Data to Drive and Guide Improvement.
- Embed PCMH in the Organization.
- Support and Sustain Change by Ensuring Adequate Time and Resources.
- Case Study: Leadership’s Integration of PCMH.
- Manage Change.
- Use Proven Strategies: The Institute for Healthcare Improvement’s Seven Leadership Leverage Points for Organization-Level Improvement.
Institution of origin: Safety Net Medical Home Initiative, Qualis Health
Author(s): Altman Dautoff D, Philips KE, Manning C
Publication date: May 2013